Cambridge Trip 2019: “I had the time of my life”
While the main prizes in our competition are full scholarships to Leysin American School in Switzerland, Cambridge cLASs offers even more! Every year we invite the winners of the competition to travel to Cambridge, UK for a few days, meet Cambridge University students there, and get a taste of what it is like to study at one of the best universities in the world. We were pleased to partner with McKinsey & Company Poland to deliver this year’s trip.
Let us share with you our excitingly packed schedule and the winner’s reflections on what this trip meant to them:
Day 1 (May 4th):
- arrival and check in
- sightseeing (Cambridge colleges, King’s Chapel, Wren Library, University Library)
- lunch with competition organisers, Ania and Aleksandra (Cambridge University alumni)
- tour of Fitzwilliam Museum with Alessandro (PhD student in history)
- meeting student hosts at St John’s College
- Annual Formal Dinner with the Cambridge University Polish Society (an opportunity to meet over 50 students and alumni of Cambridge University and chat with them about their experiences and futures over a 3-course dinner at Jesus College)
Day 2 (May 5th):
- free time for breakfast and visiting local shops
- punting tour with Kuba (current Cambridge University student)
- lunch at a vegan market
- tour of Cambridge University Botanic Gardens with Alicja (a third-year biology student)
- listening to Gonville and Caius College Choir performance during Sunday service
- dinner with competition organisers and free time in the evening
Day 3 (May 6th):
- breakfast and flights back home
Prestigious universities like Cambridge may seem to be something unachievable for ordinary person. And, this is what I thought they were until this, for sure, unforgettable weekend. We had an opportunity to participate in this wonderful trip through Cambridge city and university colleges – some of the most charming places I have ever seen in my life! We were invited to have dinner with inspiring, extremely wise, and absolutely open students who shared with us their perspective on studying at Cambridge and gave us some inside information about a range of fields of study and colleges. We also had a lot of fun during the activities, especially punting! I feel it would be an enormous pleasure to have a chance to study at Cambridge. This trip made me more motivated and certain of that than ever!
Words “a life-changing experience” might be overused these days, but I’m convinced there’s no better expression to describe our trip to Cambridge! Thanks to the students who welcomed us there and took care of us, we got to experience an insider tour of what real life in Cambridge looks like, not just a snapshot that tourists get. They helped us understand the academic spirit of this place and inspired a lot to keep working hard to make our dreams come true. Visiting colleges and museums was unforgettable, but what I perceive as “life-changing” during this weekend were the hours spent talking to friendly students with wide horizons and knowledge. I had the time of my life that I had not expected before. Our amazing hosts helped me improve my self-confidence and showed their support in achieving my dreams. I felt accepted in this community by everyone – mathematics, history, science, and art students. Our weekend in Cambridge made me realise I also could be the one to make a change. This little town in a Cambridgeshire where Newton worked on his revolutionary theory, Milne wrote Winnie the Pooh and where fourteen Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland completed their studies is one of the most magical places I have ever visited. I am really thankful for this opportunity.
We’d like to extend our thanks to everyone who contributed to the success of this trip, especially:
- Aleksandra and Jan for organising the trip on behalf of the Cambridge cLASs committee
- Cambridge University Polish Society members who hosted our students in their dorms and introduced them to the student life at Cambridge (Alicja, Maciej, Basia)
- tour leaders (Alessandro, Jakub, Alicja) for sharing their impressive knowledge and delivering unique tours that you wouldn’t find available at any tourist office
- McKinsey & Company Warsaw for sponsoring the trip!